In Miramar, a suburb of Wellington, and arguably the center of New Zealand’s movie industry, there is an old movie theatre called The Roxy. Built in 1928 it was first known as the Capitol cinema until it closed in 1964. For a brief time the building became a shopping court before it was deserted and fell into disrepair. Thanks to heavy investment from the local film industry, the building was renovated and re-opened as The Roxy cinema in April 2011.
The lavish renovation is completed by a huge sepia-tone Art Deco ceiling mural in the Grand Lobby. Designed by Weta Workshop artist Greg Broadmore, the impressive mural features a marauding robot, flying ‘rocket girls,’ and the unforgiving landscape of the planet Venus.